Keep and Bear Arms Home Page
This article was printed from
For more gun- and freedom-related information, visit

Robber shot in self-defense

Originally published here as:
Man remains in critical condition after shooting

By Deanna Boyd
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Updated: Thursday, Apr. 19, 2001 at 21:51 CDT

FORT WORTH -- An 18-year- old man shot Wednesday during what police describe as his attempt to rob two men outside a Fort Worth home remained in critical condition Thursday at John Peter Smith Hospital, officials said.

Solomon Castillo, whom a 25-year-old licensed handgun carrier wounded in the head and chest, was shot in what police said appeared to be self- defense.

The 25-year-old, who asked that his name not be revealed, said he was at his parents' home in the 900 block of East Ripy Street, working on a car with his brother, when the attempted robbery occurred.

"The two brothers own a car business in Grand Prairie," homicide Sgt. Skeeter Anderson said. "They had brought this car over there because they were going to put a battery in it because someone was looking to buy it."

The brothers told police that Castillo and two other men drove up in a Jeep. Castillo got out, displayed a .38-caliber revolver and demanded money, Anderson said.

The 25-year-old pulled his gun and shot at Castillo twice, striking him in the head and chest, police said.

Police arrested the Jeep's other occupants, David Torres, 20, of Fort Worth and a 16- year-old boy.

Torres was jailed on investigation of aggravated robbery; his bail was set at $10,000. He told investigators he did not know Castillo was going to try to rob the men, Anderson said.

The teen was turned over to juvenile authorities, and investigators had not interviewed him by Thursday afternoon.

The 25-year-old was not arrested after the shooting. Anderson said the case will be presented to the Tarrant County district attorney's office, which could choose to present the case to a grand jury.

Anderson said the shooting marked the first in recent memory involving a licensed handgun carrier.

In March 1999, 18-year-old Jose Angel Wood was fatally shot by a permit holder who said Wood and other men surrounded his car and threatened to kill him. Jon Michael Wilson was charged with murder after the shooting, but a grand jury declined to indict him.

Another Media Report of This Self-defense Shooting

Reported here in Dallas Morning News, Metro in brief section, as follows

04/19/2001 -- Fort Worth: Homeowner shoots armed robber, police say

An 18-year-old man was shot twice by a homeowner he was trying to rob in South Fort Worth, police said. The man, whose name was not disclosed, was shot in the head and chest and was in critical condition Wednesday night at John Peter Smith Hospital. Police said a homeowner in the 900 block of East Ripy Street was unloading a vehicle from a trailer in front of his house about 8:30 p.m. when three men drove up. One of them got out, pointed a handgun at the man and demanded money, police said. The homeowner, who police said has a permit to carry a concealed handgun, pulled out a gun and shot the man. The other two men fled but returned a short time later and were charged with aggravated robbery.

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed, without profit, for research or educational purposes. We do our best, as well, to give credit to the original news source who published these Guns Save Lives stories out of respect and appreciation for their willingness to spread the word that Guns Save Lives. God Bless the Americans that publish these stories - for assisting Americans in hearing the truth.