Keep and Bear Arms Home Page
This article was printed from
For more gun- and freedom-related information, visit

Suspects driven off by tenant's gunshots

Originally ran here as:
"Shots fired during break-in"
by Krista Marrs, Staff Writer
The Citizen online
November 13, 2001

LACONIA, NEW HAMPSHIRE — A 20-year-old man who just last week pleaded guilty to a felony charge of perjury was charged along with another man Sunday with attempted burglary — but not before the man whose home he is accused of breaking into fired off four warning shots.

Keith J. McLeod, 20, 42 Central St., Franklin, and Dennis L. Taft, 19, 187 Bow Street, Franklin, were charged with attempted burglary Sunday after allegedly breaking into an apartment on Union Avenue.

The two were arrested after Laconia police were alerted to a rear apartment at 322 Union Ave. after receiving a 911 call that the apartment was being broken into.

Laconia Police Sgt. Michael Moyer said he found McLeod and Taft running from the rear of the apartment, where they were later detained. Both men said that someone from inside the apartment had fired at them.

Police determined that tenant of Unit 5, 22-year-old Mark Turner, fired four shots from a 9-mm handgun through another door in the apartment. Turner told police he fired "warning" shots.

No injuries were reported as a result of the incident.

McLeod was ordered held on $5,000 cash and brought to the Belknap County House of Corrections while Taft was released on $5,000 personal recognizance bail.

They were scheduled to be arraigned in Laconia District Court this morning.

Police recovered the 9-mm handgun from the scene and stated that additional charges may be pending. The case remains under investigation.

McLeod appeared in Belknap County Superior Court last Wednesday, where he pleaded guilty to a charge of perjury.

The charge stems from his lying while testifying in Laconia District Court on Oct. 2, 2000, where he denied under oath that he was the motorcyclist who fled police after a brief chase March 25, 2000. A letter reportedly stating he was working in Hampton Falls that day turned out to be false.

He is free on bail pending his sentencing on the perjury charge.

As past of a plea agreement McLeod he will serve a 12-month sentence with six months suspended. The judge delayed sentencing until a pre-sentencing investigation is conducted.

Assisting in Sunday night’s incident were officers Allan Graton, Michael Eastman and Michael McCarn.

Krista Marrs can be reached by calling 524-3800 ext. 5933

NOTICE: In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed, without profit, for research or educational purposes. We do our best, as well, to give credit to the original news source who published these Guns Save Lives stories out of respect and appreciation for their willingness to spread the word that Guns Save Lives -- and when an original link is available, we ALWAYS send all our visitors to read the original article on the original site where it was posted. God Bless the Americans that publish these stories - for assisting Americans in hearing the truth about guns saving lives.